Checking these out seemed like a natural extension of reviewing my video/audio settings, so I figured I’d do a quick write-up on what I learnt.
Phase 1 of my big upgrade/migration project was a good chance to reevaluate my recording/rendering settings, so as here’s an extra write-up relating to that.
I have a lot of stuff I’m working on right now. Some are large projects (e.g. Olaf guide, Fall of Nations), some are smaller (like individual articles), and there are a few that are sort of in between (e.g. B5 giffing). If my study schedule goes as expected then I have ~8 months of less than a full-time study workload. After the 8 months is over I don’t jarringly stop all content, but I can’t realistically study full-time and do content full-time simultaneously – time just doesn’t work like that.
Over the past couple weeks or so I’ve spent quite a bit of time figuring out what and how I want to work on things over this coming 8 month window, and how long I expect each project to take.
Aka “that time I told a Twitter user to fuck off”.
A few weeks ago /r/leagueoflegends ran a contest for reaching 4 million subscribers to the subreddit. There were four categories, and four winners in each category. With around 2 days left on the submission deadline, I submitted a Loss parody for the category of “4 image description” and ended up getting first place, winning myself 1848 RP.
Here are some notes about the submission I made.1
This is an important update, but I’ll try to keep it relatively short.
Uploading good quality unedited game recordings to YouTube is, all things considered, not too complicated of a process. It’s mostly just optimising based on what kind of resources you have available to you, such as how powerful your CPU is, how fast your internet connection is, and how much storage space you’re willing to use up.
Streaming is much the same, although your expected quality bar will of course be lower because your viewers have to keep up with the incoming video in real-time, and you yourself have to encode that video in real-time as well.
The process is a little different if you’re making clips for Gfycat – at least if you want them to still look great once they’re there.
With 2019 most definitely underway, I wanted to pause for a moment to lay out general plans and content priorities for the upcoming year.
In years past I was part of Remyrhe Gaming, an organisation that used to run some pretty swell tournaments for League of Legends and Hearthstone. Unfortunately RG shuttered in 20161 not long after its crowning achievement in the OCC/OUC, the largest student-focused League of Legends tournament ever run in Oceania (we held the grand final in Riot’s OPL studio!). At some point I’ll dig up the overlays and stuff I made for that and publish them here for posterity.
Newer and less popular — but nonetheless ever-growing — was our creatively named Hearthstone Cup, which our partner Logitech graciously also sponsored following our success with the OCC/OUC (hence the branding elements!). I was tasked with finding or making some stream overlays for our broadcaster(s) to use, and being dissatisfied with the overlays I was finding online, I whipped together my own.
Over the years I’ve spent a bit of time during various projects matching music tracks to onscreen events. Emotional tone is generally easy enough – putting sad music during a sad scene isn’t exactly a revelation.
What’s more difficult to get right is matching specific elements of a particular backing track with specific things happening on screen. A gunshot, an explosion, a dramatic stand off. A pause, a look, a glance, a reaction or joy, or a reaction of sorrow. Trying to match that to a beat, a strum, or chord progression – that’s where things get particularly interesting to me.